LOVE from CHEMISTRY

 

In our life, we may have experienced some situations which probably scared the shit out of us. But when time passes, we may have forgotten them. In my life, the one situation which I’m going to narrate has scared the shit out of me and still gives me chill and second thoughts about what would have happened if it went the other way. So, brace yourselves.......

I was in my second year of my Intermediate and it was the time before public exams the whole college is going through bit-banks, star Q’s, and previous year question papers and of course, the second years have an extra burden, LAB RECORDS. We all know how it is and how things vexed us like maintaining a running note, doing the same titrations and molarity experiments again and again until we get desired results, memorizing the molarity formulas, and recording them in records. Some would lure juniors to write the records by giving them some freebies or whatever they demand, there it is everything is a business. Money rules……

Well coming to the plot, that was a normal afternoon until I messed up. Our whole class was in the chemistry lab practicing titration experiments and I was doing fine until it happened. The thing is we have to mix the salt with Conc.H2SO4 and burn it on the flame burner and the precautionary step here is to point the opening mouth of the test tube to the opposite direction of our face. While heating it we have to be careful that the mixture shouldn’t be heated for a long time and I was careful most of the time. I did fine the first time and everything went well then but while repeating the procedure I messed up. I followed every step accordingly but when coming to the main precautionary step, I pointed the opening of the test tube to my face I wasn’t in my senses at that moment, all I was thinking was about my journey to my home the next day and then BOOOOM!!!! The acid and salt mixture burst right into my right eye. I dropped the test tube on the floor and covered my eye with both hands and cried loudly and stumbled to fall when my classmate  caught me from behind, I kept on crying and I thought I lost my eye, couldn’t see anything for a moment everything was a blur and hearing my cry the lab in-charge rushed towards me and stopped the gas supply to the flame burner took a wet cloth and my friend removed my hands from my face which I was protesting to do and the in-charge first blew some air on my eye and then kept the wet cloth on my eye and after some time I stopped crying and I opened my eyes and I witnessed everyone in the lab surrounded me with various looks on their face and anxiety rushing in my nerves and blood pressure rushing up and down I slowly got up and opened my burnt eye and then I started to get  a clear vision and after some time, the sight got back to normal but there was a pain I couldn’t blink my eye as usual and then I got to know my eye pupil was good and the pain I have to see where its coming from and everyone got back to their places and everything went normal. As soon as the bell rang I rushed out of the lab and went straight to my room and threw my books to some corner and looked anxiously into the mirror what happened to my eye, I saw a BLACK SCAR on my both upper and lower eyelid and by then the intensity of pain decreased and I was lost in my thoughts of what would have happened if I blinked a second late and I got a clear picture in my brain of what happened. And for some time I was lost in my thoughts until my friends came to check up on me. The one friend who caught me falling from behind still had this terrible look on his face and I assured him I was okay and he was somewhat relieved. And then the mockery started with one of my friends came up and said “bad luck man, you just missed the RESERVATION”, and I was like “seriously, bro after all this” and he was like “yeah man” and another one came up and said “ yeah bro, the acid was not fully concentrated, our lab in-charge diluted it to some level and if it wasn’t diluted you sure would have got into RESERVATION” and I was “Thank God!” later everyone took their turn and I was like ‘Alexa! Play ALL MY FRIENDS ARE TOXIC.mp3’. The next day when I got back to my home my mom took a keen look at my eye and I asked what happened, I tried to avoid it but didn’t succeed and when I told her she started crying, I tried to calm her but couldn't for a moment then I assured her I will be careful next time. When I returned to the college again the time came when I have to step into that lab and I did then my friend gave me normal full-framed glasses to cover my eyes which I eventually used, just in case.

Up to now, there were a quite number of situations where I was on the verge of death but this will always be in the first place. Even when I think of this a chill will run down my spine. Did you experience any? I would like to listen.

              HAPPY DIWALI FOLKS!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Fell down the stares..
Flied a scooty in the air
Fell down from a building
Abbo... cheppukoniki chala unnai..mari manam chala kudhuruga

Popular Posts